Claiming the top spot from last year’s best seller, cashew nuts, almonds proved the best seller this year, according to the retailer’s online sales.
Almonds are one of the ingredients set to feature in our free, one-hour webinar. Among the speakers taking part will be Sebastian Emig, president of the European Snacks Association (ESA), and Lu Ann Williams, director of innovation at Innova Market Insights. Reserve your free place here and see more details below.
Meanwhile, new entrants to this year’s top selling list were chia seeds, goji berries and coconut oil.
Top 10 best sellers
Healthy Supplies md Tina Manahai-Mahai said the top 10 best sellers list reflected the growing interest in healthy ingredients. “A greater awareness of diets and intolerances is contributing to an increase in sales for things like grains, nuts and seeds which are naturally gluten and dairy free, making them ideal ingredients in these diets,” said Manahai-Mahai.
The top seller was no surprise, she added. “We are not surprised to see Almonds at the top of people’s superfood wish list. Not only are they rich in protein and fibre, these little nuts of goodness are thought to help reduce cholesterol and blood pressure. What’s more, they are the ideal deskside snack!”
Healthy reformulation of snacks will be one of the themes explored by the ESA boss in next month’s webinar. Emig will explore the sector’s progress in delivering healthy reformulation, in the webinar sponsored by the Almond Board of California (ABC). He will also consider what credentials consumers look for from food ingredients, in terms of ethical and sustainable sourcing.
Ethical and sustainable sourcing
The speaker from Innova Market Insights will predict the hot snacking trends for 2017 and beyond.
The third speaker will be ABC senior sustainability specialist Danielle Veenstra, who will explain how ABC members are implementing sustainable production methods, based on careful stewardship of natural resources including water. Her presentation will also feature how the board’s research programme is geared to tailoring sustainable production to the demands of increasingly discerning customers.
Reserve your free place here.
Meanwhile, read the full top 10 best-selling list of superfood ingredients in the box below.
1. Almonds. “Great source of protein, vitamin E, omega-6, calcium, magnesium and fibre”
2. Cashew nuts. “Full of vitamin B, magnesium, copper and protein”
3. Pumpkin seeds. “Packed with iron, zinc, magnesium, phosphorous, copper and vitamins”
4. Chia seeds. “High in fibre and a good source of key omega fatty acids”
5. Cacao powder. “Includes antioxidants, natural fatty acids, minerals and vitamins”
6. Quinoa. “Contains all the essential amino acids as well as high mineral content”
7. Golden flaxseed. “Great source of fibre, omega-3 and protein”
8. Ceylon cinnamon. “Full of antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties”
9. Goji berries “Packed with vitamins A and C, minerals, iron and calcium”
10. Coconut oil “Retains all the natural minerals and vitamins found in a coconut”
Source and commentary: Healthy Supplies